Are you confident you have made adequate preparations for your retirement?
These days, with increasing life expectancy and advances in healthcare it is not uncommon for people to live for twenty to thirty years after they retire. This can be more than half the time they spent working!
Ensuring adequate income for life in these circumstances requires careful planning across a wide area:
- More and more people are supplementing their pension provision with other sources of retirement income, such as savings products, investments, and even property acquisition. The tax and financial implications of such decisions are complex and require timely and expert advice.
- Then there are the questions of when you should plan to retire and how you will leave your business – whether you will pass it on to others in the family or sell it and cash out. It is wise to prepare your exit strategy well in advance and to be sure you optimise your tax position while you still have flexible options.
- Finally there are matters of life assurance provision, long-term care, and medical insurance to consider if you are concerned to maintain a good quality of life throughout your retirement.
The three keys to successful retirement planning are:
- Plan well ahead – It is never too early to start retirement planning. The earlier you start the greater your chances of achieving your objectives
- Maintain balance & flexibility – It is especially important to achieve an appropriate balance between high and low risk exposures, and to maintain flexible options with regard to instruments such as pensions, savings, investments, and insurance.
- Seek professional advice – This a very complex and continuously changing area, and we strongly recommend you seek skilled, professional advice at every step.
Our professional team can help you draw up and implement a comprehensive retirement strategy – giving you peace of mind to enjoy life to the full now and into the future.
Contact us today to discuss how we can help you plan effectively for your retirement.